We’ve all heard that statement or one like it. We’ve even heard statements like “God won’t give you anything you can’t handle” or the opposite “God will give you things you can’t handle so that you will rely on Him to get you through.” We’ve even heard Bob, Larry and Jr. Asparagus tell us that God is bigger than the boogie man, He’s bigger than Godzilla and the Monsters on TV” – if you don’t know what I’m talking about then click here and soak in the greatness of Veggie Tales.
If you think about it God really is bigger than the boogie men that scare and intimidate us and He is indeed bigger than the Godzilla-size issues of our lives and the fearful Monsters we hear about on TV.
When we face trials in our lives and we surely will (James 1:1-4), we need to realize that God needs us to go through them in order to produce endurance in our lives. Endurance means lots of things but with God I believe He desires for us to remain committed and patient to his faithfulness and He will get us through whatever we are facing. I think for many, patience is not a trait easily possessed.
Last week I enjoyed a week in Yosemite National Park on a pastor’s retreat and I learned some things that I believe will translate well to this topic:
1) Everything in Yosemite is enormous but for God it was just a single stroke of his brush when he created the Earth. Our enormous problems, pains and sins are not too big for God!
2) Fire is necessary for Yosemite’s growth and reproduction. Though we may not desire fires in our lives we need them for our growth and to help us grow closer to God.
3) Much of Yosemite’s character comes from its deep valleys and high peaks. Much of our character comes from our deep valleys and high peaks. God is consistent!
4) If you stray off the paths in Yosemite you risk getting seriously hurt. I think you know where I’m going here! God’s path always gets us to our destination safely!
5) “Ruthlessly eliminate hurry in our lives” was one of the many statements I took away from the retreat. Hurry is the opposite of patience! Feel free to take this one for yourselves.
All I know is this – God is bigger than your problem and He loves you so much that he is willing to carry you through your problem, bear the burden of your pain and even die for you to take away your sins. He is our Father and we are His kids…He’s got our backs!
By the way God really is bigger than the boogie man, and Godzilla and the monsters on TV. What is there to fear?