This past weekend was very cool for me. I was given the opportunity to preach to the congregation of my church about a subject that I’m very passionate about…the family! I believe that the family is God’s greatest passion on the earth behind the heart of the individual.
I preached on God First, Spouse Second and Kids Third! This topic is rather controversial to a lot of people because they believe in alternate priority patterns.
Here’s a recap of the sermon:
- We are all perfectly imperfect sinners raising our families in a completely dysfunctional world and that’s why we need a Perfectly Perfect Savior with a completely functional plan to raise our families.
o God should be the Bulls eye of our lives!
o Our Spouse should be the next best thing behind our relationship with God.
o God’s plan is for Husband and Wife to unite as one with Him in the center of it.
o Kids should be welcome editions to the family and not the centerpiece.
o If you worship your kids they will let you and they make horrible Gods.
o Your job is to love, nurture, teach, correct, discipline, and prepare them to GO!
How to Practice God First, Spouse Second, Kids Third:
Practicing Making God the Bulls eye:
- Establish a Relationship with Him,
- Read His Word – other material that will help you understand better.
- Attend church every week and really Worship Him and Thank Him!
- Serve in the Church
- Give to the church – time, talent and treasure
- Attend Bible studies - Attend Men’s and Women’s ministry meetings
- Attend a Celebrate Life Group
- Find friends who are in love with God too.
Practicing making your Spouse Second:
- Date regularly!
- Communicate with our spouse about everything.
- Be unified with your spouse in parenting decisions or for any other decision for that matter.
- Be intimate with your spouse regularly.
- Learn each other’s Love Languages.
- Cherish each other.
Practicing making your Kids Third:
- Become the primary teacher for your kids spiritual Growth.
- Limit the number of Extra-Curricular Activities they have. 1-2 limit.
- Put kids on schedule when they are a baby and when they get older.
- Have a decent bed time.
- Don’t let kids sleep with you in your bed!
- Eat around the dinner table 3 – 6 days a week.
- Limit their screen time.
- Feed them healthy foods.
- Serve with them in the church and outside the church.
- Lead by example.
- Know who their friends are.
- Teach them God First – Spouse Second – Kids Third.
I would love to see life change happen within the families of the community I serve. I hope this message will help a family or two to consider some changes that I pray will draw them closer to themselves and to God.
I pray that these families practice aiming at God’s Target and I’m quite sure they will hit the mark!