His name is Jason. He’s in his early 20s, lives daily with physical difficulties so that he can barely walk. His father helps him walk to his seat at church and holds Jason up so he can help take the offering during the service. What captured my attention is the look of deep, deep love on the father’s face as he interacts with Jason, a son who will never be the star quarterback or ace pitcher or do any of those other “great” things a father might expect from his son. Jason’s father doesn’t look at him with disgust or annoyance because he squirms a lot and needs help to go anywhere. He doesn’t look exasperated because he needs to help Jason go to the men’s room right in the middle of a sermon. He looks at him with love. What a beautiful picture of how deep a father’s love is for his son! And, how deep our Heavenly Father’s love is for us as well.
The Father God who loves you tenderly
I’ve experienced that deep father’s love. My earthly father loved me dearly so I have had no difficulty believing that God truly loved me as a Father. And, through the years, God my Father has held me up when I just couldn’t hold myself up, just as He promises in Isaiah 41:13,
“For I am the LORD your God, the one who takes hold of your right hand, who says to you, 'Don't be afraid, I am helping you.'”
There have been times in my life when I felt too weak to measure up to whatever I was supposed to be. I looked at all my inadequacies, all that I couldn’t do right or as well as others could. I felt afraid. I know my God was holding me up during those times just to give me that extra strength to stand. And, He has whispered in my ear—through His Word, His Spirit and/or someone’s teaching—just what I needed to know for that moment.
Our Father God’s promise is this,
“My grace is enough for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)
But, even if you haven’t experienced an earthly father’s love like that, it doesn’t negate God the Father’s deep love for you. Picture yourself sitting on Jesus’ lap, holding out your left hand for Father God to take hold and whisper in your ear, “Don’t be afraid, I am helping you.”
The Father God who loves you faithfully
Your God is a trustworthy Father. Jesus continually taught His disciples to consider God as their Father. This God is your Father God, too. The moment you placed your trust in Jesus Christ for your salvation, you were adopted into God’s family as His child. He is the perfect Father, the most loving Father, the most dependable Father, and the Father who cares about your every need. Our Father God’s love for you is deep and amazing.
“See what amazing love the Father has given us! Because of it, we are called children of God. And that’s what we really are!” (1 John 3:1)
Jesus continually encouraged His followers to call God, “Father.” He taught them to pray to their Father God, whom they could trust.
Wait a minute. What if you didn’t have such a good earthly father! Your concept of a father might be pretty scary. The concept of “father” evokes as many feelings as there are people. Good. Bad. Present. Absent. Loving. Hollow. Provider. Ask anyone; it’s like a box of chocolates. God knows that. But, He wants you to know that you are dearly loved by your Father God. Dearly loved.
Think of the best father in any movie or TV show. Who comes to mind? God is even better than that father. And, you can become familiar with the character of God—those attributes that help you to know Him well, love Him wholeheartedly and gain the confidence to trust Him as your Father God who loves you.
The character of your Father God
God’s greatness is far beyond human understanding. But, His Word does reveal to us part of the picture. Take time to think through each of the following characteristics of God and how each one affects your view of God … and your relationship with Him. You can know Him.
• God is SOVEREIGN. (2 Samuel 7:22) God is the sovereign ruler over His creation. He rules it with supreme authority and power. Are you willing to recognize God’s authority over you—to trust that He knows what is best for you?
• God is ALL POWERFUL. (Jeremiah 32:17) God is more powerful than anything or anyone else in the entire universe. Do you feel confident that you can ask Him to work in your life, and He will do it?
• God is OMNIPRESENT. (Psalm 139:5-6) God is present everywhere at the same time. How does that make you feel that you can’t go to any place where God is not with you or cannot hear your prayer to Him?
• God is ALL KNOWING. (Psalm 139:1-4) God knows everything there is to know about everything. If God knows everything there is to know, does anything good or bad in your life escape God’s notice or surprise Him?
• God is LOVE. (Psalm 103:8) God’s love is patient, kind, forgiving and considers what is best for the one being loved. How does knowing this make you feel as you share your heart with Him?
• God is GOOD. (Psalm 119:68) He is good all the time—in the tough times, in different ways for each person, and in what He allows or does not allow into our lives. As you talk to your Heavenly Father, are you willing to trust His goodness in the way He chooses to answer your prayer?
• God is HOLY. (Habakkuk 1:13) Our holy God is set apart from anything that is sinful or evil. When we trust in Jesus, God cleanses us from sin so that we are no longer separated from Him. What confidence does this give you in your relationship with God?
• God is JUST. (Romans 3:26) God always does what is morally right and fair. He desires that we uphold justice in our lives as well. God wants you to live that way and enables you to do so. Is that something you’d like to do?
Your heavenly Father is always the same—always trustworthy, always loving, always just—and much more. He is never untrue to who He says He is. He is the God you can know. And, He’s a Father worth getting to know.
Find Out More…
Graceful Beginnings New Believers Guide, Lesson 4.
“Let Me See Thy Glory”—A detailed study of the character of God.
The God You Can Know Bible Study free download.