The preceding blogs on the Ten Commandments(1) have precisely articulated how God expects us to live; nevertheless, we have as individuals and as a nation have largely chosen to say "no thanks" to God's offer of rescue from the bondage of sin, its destruction in our lives while on Earth, and its promise of eternal death after we die thus identifying with the Biblical definition of a fool (Psalms 14:1). Nevertheless, God so loved the world, even in its despicable fallen state, so much that He sent His unique son to provide a way back to Himself (John 3:16,17. Romans 5:8. 1 Corinthians 15:3,4. Ezekiel 18:31,32. Ezekiel 11:19,20). However, we have failed to see that if we do not accept God's offer of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ (1) then we are already condemned regardless of how good we are living in this life (John 3:18-20. John 12:46-48. Revelations 20:11-15). If You Can't Say Amen, Say Oh Me!
The Law of Consequence for Violating the Commandment
Instead of taking the high narrow road that leads to eternal life in Heaven some have chosen to take the lower wide road that leads to absolute destruction in Hell (Matthew 7:13,14). This journey downward is characterized by the following seven progressive steps (3) that lead from the knowledge of God to living in the desires of our flesh:
1. We chose not to glorify God as God (Romans 1:21).
This is the breaking of the First Commandment for we will always have some god in our lives even if that god is ourselves (Philippians 3:18-20). Instead of asking God to have His will in our lives, like Jesus did when He walked the Earth, we declare that our will be done! (Matthew 6:9,10. John 4:34. Hebrews 10:7)
2. We then fail to thank God and resultantly become a thankless people (Romans 1:21)
Our ungratefulness towards God and His will for our lives leads to unthankfulness. In this is found a spiritual law: Whatever you give to God will be multiplied back into your life (Matthew 19:29. Luke 6:38. 2 Corinthians 9:10,11). For example, if you give thanks to God, then you will be filled with thankfulness!
3. We then become arrogant in our imaginations (Romans 1:21)
When we turn from God's will (that also includes His wisdom for our life), we become arrogant in our thoughts. This is a self-perpetuating cycle as arrogance leads to ignorance and ignorance to more arrogance (Proverbs 18:2).
4. We then allow darkness to enter our foolish spiritual hearts (Romans 1:21)
Arrogance works it work of blinding our spiritual hearts to our actual condition (2 Corinthians 4:3,4). Consequently, instead of God's plan to transform our character into that of Christ Jesus we are conformed into the character of Satan the prideful god of this present world (Romans 12:2. 1 Timothy 3:6).
5. We then begin to profess ourselves to be wise thus becoming fools (Romans 1:22)
Having departed from God's will (i.e., His word that also includes His standards)(2), we are no longer criterion based on our self-judgments but are rather norm-referenced. That is, we compare ourselves with ourselves and with others leading to an inaccurate and foolish self-assessment (2 Corinthians 10:12).
6. We then change the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like a corruptible man (Romans 1:23).
This is the breaking of the Second Commandment for whatever we treasure with our spiritual hearts becomes our god (Luke 12:34). In the beginning, God made us in His image and we in return re-make God in our image (Genesis 1:26,27). For example, we worship our employer, our alma mater, our favorite sport, our favorite hobby, etc. All of these things are made of a physical substance that is subject to corruption (Matthew 6:19-21).
7. God then gives us over to uncleanness through the desires of our own darkened spiritual hearts (Romans 1:24-32).
God is very patience and protective of us not desiring that any of His children be lost (2 Peter 3:9). Nevertheless, there comes the point when we have asked to learn the hard way (i.e., by not wanting God's will in our lives) long enough that God says then your will be done; however, judgment is coming! What follows is a descent into all forms of depravity with some so confused with who they are that they embrace same-sex attraction (1), gender change, etc. (Romans 1:26,27). They continue to become less and less like God and more and more like animals as they live to break all of the Ten Commandments (Romans 1:28-32).
What is evil becomes good to them and what is good becomes evil to them (Isaiah 5:20,21. Psalms 52:3). For example, those that protect babies from abortion are considered evil while those that applaud abortion are considered good. Enter a world where even some species of flies are protected from being killed by law but where innocent babies can be killed with impunity. Enter a world where sin is so rampant that thankfulness is long gone and mercy has turned to cruelty (2 Timothy 3:1-5. Proverbs 12:10). A world where adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, etc. are accepted as norms (Galatians 5:19-21. 1 John 2:16). Enter our world today!
Furthermore, these that have followed this descent to Hell are so blinded they do not see they are like cattle being fattened for the day of slaughter by Satan the god of this world (Ephesians 2:1-3. 1 John 5:19. John 12:31). Resultantly, they fight vehemently to maintain their right to the very sin that is destroying and dooming them to the same future fate as their god Satan. That fate is Hell and then the Lake of Fire forever! (Matthew 25:41. Revelations 20:10. John 16:7-11)
The Opportunity of Blessing for Keeping the Commandment
Sadly, there are two categories of people that will end up eternally separated from God in Hell:
1) Those in spite of the evidence of the created world around them and the experience of the moral law of their conscience within them, suppress what they see with their eyes about God's majesty, might, meaning, order and design which speak of His power. They resist what they know in their conscience about right and wrong which speak of His character. They make no response either to the creation or conscience and reject God who wanted to get to know them outside through creation and inside through conscience (Psalms 19:1-4;8:1;50:6; Romans 1:18-20 NET).
“The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky displays his handiwork. Day after day it speaks out; night after night it reveals his greatness. There is no actual speech or word, nor is its voice literally heard. Yet its voice echoes throughout the earth; its words carry to the distant horizon. In the sky he has pitched a tent for the sun.”
Psalms 19:1-4 NET
2) Those that have heard the Good News of God's rescue plan for mankind in His unique Son, Jesus, but made no personal response to it (John 3:36 NET. 2 Thessalonians 1:8 NET)
That is, there is NO opportunity for blessing as the refusal of God's generous offer of Grace, Mercy, and Compassion via accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and Lord leaves only His wrath (1) (1 Chronicles 28:9. Hebrews 10:26-31. Matthew 10:28. Matthew 12:31,32).
The only hope is to accept God's grace, mercy, and compassion(1) resulting in your name not being erased from the Book of Life (Revelation 3:5). Then He will walk with you as you retrace the seven steps back up to the destiny God has for your life leaving behind the depths of depravity and despair to which you have succumbed. It is never too late as long as you are alive on Earth (2 Corinthians 6:1,2. 1 Peter 1:3,4). Amen (1 Timothy 1:17)
(1) Left click on the underlined phrase to open another article in a different tab with more explanation.
(2) Since God never lies His Word is His will (Titus 1:2. Hebrews 6:18). Therefore, the Bible (The Word) is the recorded will of God.
(3) Adapted from "What the Bible Teaches About Mercy" pp. 189-192, by Rex B. Andrews, 1985, Zion Faith Homes, Zion Illinois.