Today I'm happy to welcome as my guest Cynthia Hester, a Dallas Theological Seminary doctoral student, who chairs the Association for Women in Ministry Professions (awmp.org). She loves reading, beach walking, and lively conversations on current events, leadership, and women in the Word.) Find her on Facebook and Twitter @1cynthiahester.) Here are her tips for building strong leadership teams, along with her top three leadership book picks:
- Pray consistently for wisdom and discernment.
- Lead with humility.
- Prioritize diversity in team formation.
- Cultivate members with varied gifts.
- Communicate clearly the ministry vision and goals.
- Encourage creativity and collaboration.
- Listen intentionally to foster trust relationships.
- Guide consistently with accountability and affirmation.
- Change what needs changing.
- Model balancing ministry tasks with relationship investment.
- Persevere through crisis, conflict, or betrayal.
- Invest team time in the 3 F’s: faith, fellowship, and fun.
Three recommended leadership resources:
Leading from Your Strengths: Building Close-Knit Ministry Teams, John Trent
Leading with a Limp, Dan B. Allender
The Secret of Teams, Mark Miller